FAQs: Water Treatment using UV and Ozone
This FAQs page aims to explain in a simple manner how the
”Ultra-Bio-Ozone®” system works
Water treatment using UV and Ozone : Questions & Answers
Why are no chemicals necessary for the water treatment of swimming pools and spas with the Ultra-Bio-Ozone® system ?
Thanks to its patented injection system, a regular ozonisation charge* replaces any chemical product, the addition of remanent is no longer necessary (Usually 20-30%) , in contrast to all the other methods of UV or ozone water treatment currently on the market.
Ultra-Bio-Ozone® provides 2 operating modes:
- Mode 1 normal : when bathers are present, the device eliminates the ozone before the water leaves the system to prohibit any rejection in the basin.
- Mode 2 shock ozone : when the pool is not used, for example at night, it is the activation of shock ozonization that completely replaces all the residual chemicals.
What is the advantage of double Ozone and Ultraviolet treatment ?
- The effect combats bacteria, viruses, algae, and fungus.
- Ozone kills by oxidation via rupture of the cellular membrane within a few seconds of contact.
- The UV has a germ-destroying effect on the micro-organisms which inactivates them (no more reproduction) or kills them.
- Having the 2 methods of treatment in the same system means the elimination of all forms of microbiological contamination.
What is ozone ?
Ozone is nothing more than oxygen to which an additional atom is added.
An oxygen molecule is made up of two atoms. As it passes in front of the UV lamp at 185 Nm, the oxygen molecule (O2) splits into 2 atoms and then reforms with 3 atoms, thus ozone (O3) is created. Ozone (O3) is very unstable and will return very quickly to its original state – Oxygen (O2).
How is ozone produced ?
The 2 most common methods are :
- Using the ultraviolet system (The oxygen is passed in front of a UV-C lamp to 185 Nm).
- Using “corona” discharge (Oxygen is passed over an electric field between two metal plates).
What is the difference between ozone produced by the ”UV lamp” and the ”corona” system ?
Both means of production are efficient. Here are the main differences :
Advantages of corona discharge :
- Less electricity consumption to produce the same amount of ozone.
Disadvantages of corona discharge :
- A lot of electronics; not possible to repair without the assistance of a technician.
- To produce the required quantities of ozone, the “corona” system must use dry air provided by an air drier or air from a bottle.
- The loss of ozone production can reach up to 80% in the event that very damp air is used, which completely cancels out the economy achieved by lower electricity consumption and increases the costs by the same amount as installing an air drying system.
- One detail often “overlooked” by salesmen is that the “corona” systems have a limited useful lifespan of a few thousand hours. Depending on the quality of the metal plates and materials used, it will be necessary for a professional to dismantle the apparatus.
Advantages of the UV-C Lamp :
- Main advantage, double production of the ozone effect by passing the air in front of the lamp and a germicidal effect by passing the water in front of the lamp.
- Maintenance reduced to a minimum; the lamp is changed every 10,000 hours and the quartz tube cleaned
- A system which will work for many years.
Disadvantages of the UV-C Lamp :
- Inferior production of ozone compared to the corona system, but the difference is reduced because
current UV-C lamps are much more powerful than in the past.
- Bulkier apparatus.
- Higher purchase cost partly due to use of stainless steel.
How is the ozone produced injected into the water in the "U-B-O" system?
- Ozone is injected into the water using a venturi,
- Water and ozone are mixed in the contact tank
- The water mixed with ozone passes through two UV tubes with extremely powerful lamps which act to treat the bacteria, virus, fungus, and algae which would have resisted the ozone, and emerges perfectly disinfected.
What is the risk of the ozone produced being present in the water after passing through the system?
No, because our “U-B-O” system has a de-ozonisation device, which eliminates the residual ozone in the water before it leaves the system.
Is the contact time with the ozone sufficient for destroying the bacteria and the viruses present in water?
Yes, the contact time is sufficient, thanks to the Venturi, the contact tank and the lengthy processing of the ozonated water in our system.
Is disinfectant water mandatory for a private swimming pool ?
No, disinfectant water is only mandatory for swimming pools open to the public, contrary to the allegations notably spread by some on poorly supervised forums.
How can the water be lightly disinfected, for example in a swimming pool used by the public?
Very low doses of the bromine or chlorine pellets is one way of lightly disinfecting water; the quantity used must be at least 0.4 mg/litre, which is 3 times lower than the recommended amount if you treat your water only using bromine or chlorine.
Running and Maintenance Costs :
- Use : power consumption of the lamps.
- Maintenance : replacement of the lamps every 10,000 hours for good ozone production, i.e. every 2 to 3 years on average for year-round use of the swimming pool or spa.
Clean the quartz tubes (Easy to do) every 6 months, depending on the quality of the water.
* 1-4 once a week, at a convenient time when there are no bathers, for example, at night.
More information & contact details
The “U-B-O” system is simple to install and comes assembled “ready to install”.
Specialists in 100% organic water and surface treatment. Ultra Bio Ozone is also a manufacturer and seller of hot tubs, spas, jacuzzis and water vending machines. From catalogue or custom-made.
THE ULTRA-BIO-OZONE® WATER TREATMENT SYSTEM
combines UV and ozone. Two completely different processes, working in tandem to disinfect and sterilise water without chlorine or chemicals.
Swiss Thai Water Solution Co., Ltd.
111 Moo.6 Tambon Khunkong,
50230 Chiang Mai, Thailand
Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5pm
AVI Swiss Group SA
Avenue de la Gare 36,
2012 Auvernier Suisse.
Rue des Draizes 7
2000 Neuchâtel Suisse.
Factory: (100% subsidiary of AVI Swiss Group SA.)